10.21.2015

life right now and a baby update

A new baby boy is coming soon! We've been cleaning, dejunking, organizing, stocking up freezer meals, checking off to-do list items, wedding planning, playing with cousins, and getting ready for baby's debut! I've suddenly had lots of motivation to get a lot done, so you best be sure I've been trying to prepare as much as possible so that we can just enjoy him when he comes.

I've been up finishing up some wedding prep for Hollie's wedding on Friday. And even though it's 1:00 am and I should be sleeping, I wanted to write a few thoughts down while the house is quiet and I can hear myself think.

There's a sort of sadness that comes with each baby. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to have another one join our family. But, that means Evelyn will no longer be the baby. Blake will be an even bigger brother and that puts Brandon and I in an even more grown-up stage of life. We are no longer the young couple with a baby.

But before we get to that stage, I wanted to record what life has been like lately in our stage of 2 children lately. Because heaven knows it won't be like this much longer.


  • Blake and Evelyn sleep in until around 7:45 each morning. They share a room and even though Evelyn will wake up around 6 am and say "Mama or Dadda", she'll fall back asleep. 
  • Brandon and I have been trying to get up earlier ever since we read the talk in the June Ensign about getting up early and going to bed earlier. On good days we are up and out of bed by 6:30. I would usually exercise in the mornings and he would get a start on some work after reading scriptures. Lately, I've been sleeping in until the kids wake up. Too tired to work out and also realizing that I'll be up very early soon enough. 
  • Brandon usually feeds them breakfast while I shower and get ready. If he's in a hurry, he'll eat a quick breakfast and I'll make something for them and eat together. We have cereal a few times a week, but my kids love smoothies, wheat pancakes, and granola with yogurt. Brandon usually takes dinner leftovers for lunch which I love and he loves. It's easy for me and he likes it better than a sandwich. 
  • Gratefully, he doesn't have to be in to work until around 9, so mornings are fun to have time together and the kids love having him around. 
  • I spend our days with the kids hanging out at home, doing play groups with friends, or other things depending on the week. Blake has preschool one day and gymnastics one day. Other than that, we like our flexible schedule to get together with others or just have time together. We are never bored! 
  • Brandon gets to work from home a few days a week. Most of the time, he doesn't mind little interruptions throughout the day and can still focus on work--which I would not be able to do! If we are lucky, he'll join us on a walk or an errand some days. 
  • Blake and Evelyn still nap. They sleep in separate rooms for naps. Otherwise, neither would fall asleep. I give Blake the choice to sleep in his bed or mine and he always chooses mine. I've been loving our nap time together. We read one book together. He'll say, "No talking, that's the rule." He insists on having at least one car in his hand. And if we've followed the routine, he's pretty good to take a nap. I'm sure cherishing these naps with him.  After a nap, he gets to choose one little treat from the basket and gets to watch a show. That's usually the only time we have the TV on. It makes dinner prep a bit easier. 
  • Brandon is home by 5:30 or 6. We try and eat dinner in the dining room. Meals in there are always more enriching and conversations are not distracted. But we do have our fair share of cereal or sandwich nights, in which we all eat around the island. 
  • We spend evenings going on walks or bike rides (before I was 9 months pregnant), playing in the backyard, running errands, or taking turns doing YM's activities, RS meetings/visits, gym time, soccer or basketball, etc while the other is with Blake and Evelyn. 
  • Bed time is around 8 for them, although they usually stay up talking past 9. We've fallen into a routine that goes like this: brush teeth, get in jammies, read scriptures, say prayers, and then they each get to choose a book to read. If it's early enough, we'll do more than one. They'll ask for a drink and for us to rub their back. As we are leaving their room, they'll say, "We have a question." We'll say, "What?" and they'll both take turns saying, "Bye!" It's so funny to them and us. 
  • After the kids are in bed, B and I will work on computer stuff: So Festive, this blog, or his side work. I don't usually have time during the day to be on the computer so night is when I get to email and stuff. Thankfully, we love having "laptop" parties and usually prefer that over watching a show. Sometimes we are terrible for each other and will keep working on things because the other one is and then before we know it, we are up way too late! But, our goal is to be in bed by 11 and we've been doing so much better lately. 
Speaking of being in bed by 11, I'm 2 1/2 hours late. So off I go. But just had to jot down this time of life before #3 changes it up again. :) 

...And for the baby update....officially 39 weeks and counting. I've had tons of contractions and hope this baby stays in for the wedding on Friday. Platelets are at 135!! So as of now, we can let this baby come when he's ready. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you to have a new baby! What a fun time in life. I always feel sad for the youngest child when I have a new baby too. It's hard knowing your family is so great right now and will soon be changing... but it will be great again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...