4.19.2011

It's Good That Some Things Change

One of the perks of working part-time is being able to get together with friends during the day. Yesterday, I got to meet up with my talented friend Amanda. Studio 5 asked her to be on their show and lucky me, I got to keep her company while she waited to be on air. She did a great job and is practically a natural when it comes to public speaking.

Afterward, we went to our favorite lunch spot because we hadn’t had quite enough talking and catching up time. I brought some notes that we had written to each other back in junior high.  I’m so glad I saved them because they provided some great lunch-time entertainment. We laughed as we read every line—each written in a different color of gel pen, mind you. Please tell me you did that, too.

The best parts of the letters were the cheesy lines that talked about our “true” loves and the pathetic attempts to win the heart of our biggest crush. However, I noticed a theme throughout most of the letters. I realized that we cared so much to fit in, to be cool, to be accepted, to be popular. Why is it that self-esteem and confidence are hard to come by at that age? If I could do junior high and high school over, I would do it much differently.

But thank goodness that life gives us the chance to change and grow. We don't have to be stuck in our self-centered, low self-esteem teenage selves that suck us into thinking that our worth is based on the latest fashions, having the cutest guy like us, or having the nicest house. Life lets us mature and helps us to see the greater things it has to offer. We both have different lives than we could have thought at that young age. And let me tell you, we are both happy for that. 

I'm grateful that some things DO change. And for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I LOVE this! Especially the gel pen notes from Junior High! I never want to re-live that and I'm definitely grateful for how far we've come since then, but mostly that we're all still friends today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saved all those crazy colored notes too. i remember being jealous of your group of friends. you all turned into such wonderful women.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...